Buckle Up

I just recently got my license in Oman. I had to jump through a lot of hoops in order to get it. The problem was that the issue date on my drivers license from the US had to at least be a year old. But when Ash and I got married, back in February, I updated my ID with my new last name, which then changed the issue date. It was a big fiasco and I had to find proof that I have had my license for over a year. It took about 2months to get everything figured out. It really does feel like such an accomplishment. 


I'll be honest, I'm nervous about driving here in Oman. I can drive to the mall, which has all of the necessities that I need, but I'm a little hesitant to drive beyond that point. Driving here is ridiculous. The Omani people are very friendly but aggressive drivers. I've seen way to many 'close-calls', which is why I'd prefer to just be a passenger. I've never been intimidated to drive and I'm not worried about my driving abilities, though I am a little concerned about the decisions the guy in the car next to me is going to make. The Sultan Qaboos Highway is the major highway that goes straight through Muscat. Depending on where you want to go, 90% of the time, it is necessary to take this highway. You'll see random people walking on the shoulder of the highway, people running across trying to dodge cars, taxis stopping on the side of the road to pick someone up. I have no desire to be apart of this. Here is a link to a story in the local paper. It's sad but it's a prime example of the crazy things that are happening here on the roads. I've also noticed that they pack their vehicles with tons of people and of course no one is wearing seatbelts. I always see little kids bouncing around in the back seats... scary.
I read here that last year, the mortality rate due to road accidents touched 820 people, while the injuries were 10,066.
 I'll abide by the laws that I'm used to and buckle up, thank you very much! 


3 comments:

  1. id be scared too!! ive seen specials on tv about people traveling to the middle east and how insane it is - its like a free for all!! miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our realtor told us that if you just imagine everyone on camelback the driving will start to make sense. She was right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats when u get aggressive back i vote learn a few swares in their language so when they do something you can just sware out ur window like ppl do here haha jk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...