I'm Back, Bitches

Sorry for the language, mom.

I'm getting back into the groove of blogging regularly again. I may even blog twice today, we'll see. It's currently 11am here, which means it's 3am east coast time. Ash worked the overnight shift so I'll be waking him up in about an hour and then we'll spend a relaxing day by the water. But until then, I thought I'd share with you some of the ramblings going on in my head.

Before I start I want you all to visit this blog Rants Of A Sassy Stew. She is one of my flight attendant friends and her blog is super entertaining. She just did a podcast with Steven Slater! It's great, go listen to it! Part of the podcast they talk about what it's like for them both to not be working, i.e., Rants Of A Sassy Stew has been on medical leave and Steven Slater hasn't worked as a flight attendant since the whole incident. Steven said it perfectly, it's like adjusting to being an earthling again. I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!! If I was a flight attendant for almost 4 years I can't imagine how difficult it is, for someone like Steven, who was a flight attendant for 20+ years, to adjust to normal life again. Adjusting to normal life is HARD!

Let me see if I can paint this picture ... For almost 4 years I traveled nonstop. Even on my days off I was traveling somewhere. Although it wasn't always an easy lifestyle and the job definitely was demanding, my day to day life was planned out for me e.g, I had to be up at a certain time, I had so many flights to work, I had to stay at such n' such hotel, the van would pick me up at such n' such time, go home and unpack, and then do it all over again a few days later. I was never in one place longer than a week. Even the days that were spent at home were jam packed with chores and errands and meeting up with friends I hadn't seen in a while. There were times I felt like my body couldn't handle the crazy lifestyle anymore. I was no longer able to fall asleep on my own. You start with taking the sleep aid melatonin and then once your body adjusts to that you move up to tylenol pm and then before you know it, you're taking Ambien. The airline takes over every part of your life and it's hard to get involved with new things. And just like so many people warned me of when I first started ... the airline industry gets in your blood. You put up with some shitty things but the lifestyle is very addicting.
I went from such a demanding lifestyle to where I'm at now (home everyday in a foreign country), in such a short amount of time. I still feel like my body is going through shock... two completely opposite lifestyles. I have to admit, I miss flying... a lot. It definitely had its share of bad days and there were times that I thought I was ready to call it quits but at the same time, I couldn't picture myself doing the 9-5 thing ever again. It's quite a strange thing when you're involved in an industry that consumes your life so much and then you're suddenly taken out of it. Learning and forcing yourself to adjust to a normal lifestyle is a lot harder than I imagined it to be. Forcing myself to find things to keep me busy so I don't go crazy, pushing myself to learn new things. I need to take advantage of this free time that I've been given and do everything that I said I wanted to do when I would sit, in my jumpseat, and vent to the other flight attendant, in the back galley. God knows that I'm so anxious to have all of my stuff figured out. I can't wait until I'm doing 'my thing' again, whatever that may be. I guess these are just obstacles that I couldn't prepare for, before moving abroad .... it's just things that I have to learn along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...