Sultan Qaboos

Prior to moving to Oman, this was the only Sultan that I was familiar with.


Then on my flight from Atlanta to Dubai I met a women who informed me of the real life Sultan of Oman. Here is Sultan Qaboos...



Unlike the Sultan in Aladdin, Sultan Qaboos does not have a hot daughter and, as far as I know, there is no crazy guy like Jafar lurking around. Sultan Qaboos has done a lot for the country of Oman.  He has expanded tourism and has built hotels, malls and highways and has done a lot for the education and healthcare in Oman. You will find a picture of him everywhere you go. Every shop, highway, restaurant, and hospital has a picture of him up high and everything seems to be named after him. I've actually contemplated whether or not to hang a picture of him above our apartment door. 

wouldn't that be a hoot?


just kidding.

3 comments:

  1. Is that a knife in his pants??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how they attach it but that knife has some sort of significance .. I need to look it up because I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Des: Arabs don't wear pants, they wear a loose flowing robe, underneath they wear white shorts or PJs (not the ones used to sleep but like what people wear in India and Pakistan.

    Visit http://www.omanet.om/english/culture/men_dress.asp?cat=cult for more info.

    Eliza: It is an Omani Dagger, it comes with a belt to fasten it around the waist. It is part of the official national dress of Oman. Variations of this dagger are used in UAE, Yemen, Qatar, and KSA.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...