Throwing Babies

Sometimes, living in Oman, reminds me of working a JFK flight. All of my flight attendant friends know exactly what I am talking about when it comes to a JFK flight. Those of you that have never worked in the airline industry, remember when Steven Slater popped the slide and jumped out of the aircraft after working a JFK flight? Well, there is a reason for that. JFK is one of the most adventurous/absurd flights that you could ever work. The passengers trash the plane, no one follows instructions, no one seems to understand English, people take showers in the bathrooms, the people smell, every flight is full and overstuffed with carryon luggage, babies walking around barefoot on a pee stained floor. It's just a mess. I myself, contemplated jumping out of an aircraft a time or two but I never had the balls to act out on it like Mr. Slater. Props to you my friend! 
I say all of that just to share one little thing that I saw today. There was a mom with 4 kids, one of which was a newborn baby, my guess is the baby was about 3 weeks old. One of the daughters, maybe around 6 years old, was carrying the infant. I thought that was pretty brave for the mom to allow, but whatever. Then I saw the 6 year old daughter throwing the baby up in the air and catching it. I was shocked and majorly disturbed by this. I understand that babies are durable but I don't know if I'd be willing to test my boundaries by throwing an infant up in the air. In all honesty, I'm not sure who I was upset with the most, the mother or the daughter. The mom obviously had full confidence in this 6 year old kid but what the hell gave the little girl the nerve to throw an infant up in the air? I remember when my little brother was an infant (I was 9 years old at the time) and I was trying to do tricks with his little chubby body. I was holding him upside down and trying to make him laugh but I almost dropped him on his head. I didn't touch him for about 2 weeks after that. I was scared to death, like somehow he would tell my mom that I was carelessly flipping him around like a doll. But throwing an infant up in the air while walking through a supermarket? I wouldn't even have enough confidence in myself, as a 23 year old, to throw an infant up in the air. Am I overreacting? Tell me what you think. 

5 comments:

  1. i would NEVER let a 6 yr old throw any baby up in the air..but a mom of 4 at this point she probably doesnt care, as long as the kids are quiet lol. but a 3 week old IS a little young to be throwing up in the air, good grief. Selah is almost 11 weeks and i cant see her getting thrown in the are, no with sofia who is 1 1/2 yrs old..only her dad throws her in the air and i almost cant look half the time when he does it..so no youre not completely overreacting :) -natasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know ... when I told Ash about it his response was "You never did tricks with your younger brother or sister?" Sure I did .. but never blatantly in front of my parents lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone with a bunch of kids once told me that after the first two she realized that babies aren't as fragile as you think they are, she told me this as a big black lab was sniffing and licking her newborn...but I'm with you Eliza, I probably would have had a heart attack watching that little girl throw that baby...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, If I was in the US, I don't know what I would have done lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...