Puppy Love

Is this what a brand new mom feels like? I've been spending the last few days cleaning up poop, baby proofing the house, going for walks, cuddling, potty training, and fighting for my fingers to be released out of the grip of little baby teeth. Messy buns, baggy t-shirts, cotton shorts, and flip flops have been my attire. And I try to squeeze in any ounce of sleep during his nap time.

I'm pooped.


But I couldn't be more in love.

Everyday he discovers something new. Everyday he learns something new. Can you believe an 8 week old puppy is already catching onto the commands of sit, paw, and come? He's incredibly smart.

I've wanted a dog for a while now but Ash and I were also a little hesitant to take on such a big responsibility (and big responsibility it is!). You could probably say that on average Ash and I travel for about 2months out of the year. We weren't sure how we'd care for a dog during our vacation time. We also weren't sure where we'd get a dog. We wanted a breed of our choice and preferably a puppy. Our only options seemed to be importing one from Europe or possibly the UAE.


Friday night we decided to check out the pet shop just to browse. We had no intentions on finding us a pup. Surprisingly, behind a fiberglass window was the cutest little puppy looking for someone to play with and my heart melted. As soon as I picked him up, he laid his head on my chest. 

I had found myself a cuddle buddy...


We purchased him on the spot but with mixed emotions. I was overwhelmed trying to come up with everything that we could possibly need for a puppy. I had never raised a dog before and I didn't really know where to begin. I was starting to wonder if I could handle the job. 
As we drove home that night I couldn't help but wonder if we had made the right decision. A lot of the training would fall onto me, since I'm home most of the time. I didn't want to fail terribly. 

Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well that night. I was worried I wouldn't hear the cries of a puppy needing to pee or that he wouldn't enjoy sleeping in the kennel we got him. 
The first two days I was home by myself with Carlos, which I believe was a good thing. We had a chance to bond and set up a daily schedule that worked for the two of us. I quickly fell in love and probably baby him a little too much ... but isn't that what mommies are for? 


And I now have the best dog-sitter around! I made a great friend recently that just moved to Muscat. She started her own dog-sitting business. She's an animal lover and has a beautiful German Shepherd of her own named Penny. She was also the first person I called when I was at the pet shop all discombobulated trying to figure out what we needed to buy! For those of you in Oman looking for someone to care for your pup, while you're away, check out Heather's blog Duncan Dog Sitting.

I'm sure Carlos will be a popular topic on my blog. It'll be interesting to see how this new adventure turns out. Raising a breed of dog in the Middle East that isn't fond of the heat will surely be a challenge. We've already discussed possibly buying him a treadmill next summer!


He's already added so much joy to our lives and feels like a member of the family. Looking forward to sharing all of our stories with you! 


3 comments:

  1. Eliza!!! SO Happy for you!! Its great to hear you made a new friend! lol You look amazing by the way and so full of life you really make life look easy :) Miss you tons. I wanna come sleep over. Lets make it happen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are looking good with your pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I was wondering if you could suggest which is a best place to buy a puppy in Oman .. since I do not want to encourage dealers who sell them illegally and in bad state . Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...