Thanksgiving & Birthdays

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. It probably has something to do with my birthday always being within the same week or falling on the actual holiday. As a kid it would feel like the entire country was celebrating my birthday. I think I only had a couple birthday parties as a kid, the downside to having a birthday near a major holiday. But all the festivities and parades on television made up for it, for sure!

I'm not going to lie, Thanksgiving in the Middle East isn't the same as Thanksgiving back home. The holiday season always makes me a little homesick. I want to smell wood stoves burning, watch snowflakes scatter around in the air, feel a chill when the screen door opens. I want to be forced to bundle up in thick coats and boots, and I want to hangout in my moms house in pj's all day watching the Macy's day parade and Home Alone 1 and 2. Is that too much to ask???!!!

I've always stuck to family traditions during the holidays and not being able to bothers me. It's important for me to incorporate as many traditions as I possibly can during the holiday season in the Middle East.


Ash and I were invited over a friends house for Thanksgiving. It was nice to spend the holiday with a big family, eating delicious food. I spent all morning baking. I'm not much of a baker but I was able to make a pretty decent sweet potato pie and some ginger bread men. 

By the way, for those of you that may live in Oman or another country where it's difficult to find ingredients like Molasses, nutmeg, allspice, etc ... check out this recipe. My ginger bread men came out awesome!! 









The look of my kitchen when I was done ...








Our Thanksgiving was really nice ... we ate lots of food and drank lots of wine. Then I finished off the night with the McCallister's... my favorite thanksgiving tradition.

Ash and I celebrated my birthday the day after thanksgiving because Ash was scheduled to work on my actual birthday. We spent the day together hanging out with Carlos and then Ash and I went out that evening to celebrate. He took me to the Safari Roof Top Grill House which is by far my favorite restaurant in Oman. I got my surf and turf while Ash got a big manly steak.  And thanks to Muscat Mutterings I knew exactly what to order for dessert ...














































And Ash got me some pretty flowers...





















And a delicious ice cream cake ...














































And then on my actual birthday, my BFF Heather and I got a yummy meal at Just Grilled and then had a relaxing day at Ayana Spa. I got a massage, thai reflexology and my eyebrows threaded for the first time.... painful but well worth it. It was a great day. 































Ash and I will be headed back to the states next week to spend time with family during the holidays. We're planning to take a few days in Berlin, Germany☃ and then head to California for a bit☂ and then vacation with Ash's family in Hawaii☼ (notice all the climate changes?) ... stay tuned for pictures and random travel updates. ✈



America, put up your prettiest christmas lights and your biggest christmas trees cause ♫♭♮ I'll be home for Christmas ♫♪♩♮ ... 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...